Sunday 22 February 2009

Alfred Hitchcock



I thought it would be a good idea to research one of the best thriller producers and filmmakers of all time. I found the following information on Wikipedia.

Alfred Hitchcock (13 August 1899 – 29 April 1980), was a British filmmaker and producer who was renowned for his techniques in suspense and psychological thrillers. Hitchcock directed more than fifty feature films in a career spanning six decades. He remains one of the best-known and most popular filmmakers of all time.

The experiences that Hitchcock has had are often shown throughout his work. On numerous occasions, Hitchcock said he was once sent by his father to the local police station with a note asking the officer to lock him away for ten minutes as punishment for behaving badly. This idea of being harshly treated or wrongfully accused is frequently reflected in Hitchcock's films.
Hitchcock's mother would often make him address her while standing at the foot of her bed, especially if he behaved badly, forcing him to stand there for hours. These experiences would later be used for the portrayal of the character of Norman Bates in his movie Psycho.

"Once the screenplay is finished, I'd just as soon not make the film at all...I have a strongly visual mind. I visualize a picture right down to the final cuts. I write all this out in the greatest detail in the script, and then I don't look at the script while I'm shooting. I know it off by heart, just as an orchestra conductor needs not look at the score...When you finish the script, the film is perfect. But in shooting it you lose perhaps 40 per cent of your original conception."



The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
— Alfred Hitchcock

No comments:

Post a Comment